Allmänt meddelande

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Sweden: is it possible to take my mx5 with me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Klockan
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Sweden: is it possible to take my mx5 with me?

Hi to all.

I\'m an italian/swedish man of 31 years old. I will probably move to Sweden (Skane) during next spring due to a god job offer. I usually drive a mx5 third generation limited.
    If I move to Sweden, I would take with me my car and I think that, for the first period, I will mantain my italian numberplate. Now, I have a few questions for you all: vandalic actions against our cars are usual in Sweden as in Italy? If I decide to remain in Sweden is it difficult and/or expensive to change the numberplate? And the insurances?

I will be waiting for your kind answers!

Ciao,
    Angelo davide

SV: Moving to Sweden: is it possible to take my mx5 with me?

Ursprungligen postat av tad
    Hi to all.

I\\\\\\\'m an italian/swedish man of 31 years old. I will probably move to Sweden (Skane) during next spring due to a god job offer. I usually drive a mx5 third generation limited.
    If I move to Sweden, I would take with me my car and I think that, for the first period, I will mantain my italian numberplate. Now, I have a few questions for you all: vandalic actions against our cars are usual in Sweden as in Italy? If I decide to remain in Sweden is it difficult and/or expensive to change the numberplate? And the insurances?

I will be waiting for your kind answers!

Ciao,
    Angelo davide
    Hi there!

If you want to take your car with you to Sweden its a quite easy thing to do. First, you can use your Italian plates/Insurance for up to 6 months in Sweden (i belive its still like this)! If you decide to stay here you just go to the testcenter for cars (Bilprovningen) and order a new registration for your car. It costs about 200 Euro incl plates and papers. Its also important that you have the registrationpapers from Italy that shows the origin of the car! I dont know the exact way to do this registration, but its easy, and when that day comes you can visit a testcenter near you to ask exactly.

(I know that there could be some diffcults to do a registration if the car is modified to much, Specially when we import cars, but at the same time there are other rules to bring the car with you when moving here!)

Then, when the car has Swedish plates you can use a Swedish ensurance. There are big variations in price between the different ensurancecompanies. Depending on were you live, your age, if you have a garage, etc it could variate from aprox 350 up to 1000 Euro/year or even more for a full ensurance. Members to Miataclub of Sweden could use a corporate enthusiast ensuranse that is quite cheap, but at the same time has some restictions due to the use/parkings/max kilometers per year, etc..

We also have a yearly tax on the car, based on older ones at the weight, and on newer on the amount of carbon dioxide/km. Your car will cost about 130-150 Euro/year. We also visit the testcenter first time after 3 years, then more often!

About the vandalism, i think the situation is a bit better here! It exists in the bigger cities, specially on public parkingplaces at night! So if you can find a garage that would be the best.. I live at the countryside, and i dont even lock the doors .... A bigger problem could be that people here are very careless and slam their own doors into other cars, so i dont like public parkinglots. ...

Of course you should bring your MX-5 with you to Sweden...
    Jobbåka: Mercedes GLC 300d AMG, - 21
    Retrosport: SAAB Sonett V4-68 #950, US-spec, Sonett Blue..
    Blårökåka: SAAB 96 GT750, -60, Pärlgrå trubbnos i originalskick..
    Cabbe: SAAB 900s classic - 94 Lågmilare I nyskick från USA.
    Kombi: SAAB 95 B Deluxe - 64, en ägare. Rostfri Norrlandsbil.
    Vinter: SAAB 96 V4 - 75b. Retro rally för bilorientering.

Comment

Thanks a lot!

I\'m still waiting the offer from Sweden but I\'m sure that I should live in Malmo.
      You answered all my questions and a few that I was thinking to do.

I hope that in the future I can meet you all and that the spirit and the passion in our cars is the same in Sweden as in Italy!!!

Ciao,
      Angelo Davide

Comment

I hope that in the future I can meet you all and that the spirit and the passion in our cars is the same in Sweden as in Italy!!!
        Ciao,
        Angelo Davide
        You dont have to worry about this... !

Miataclub of Sweden has today a bit more than 1000 members on aprox 2400 cars totally in Sweden. We are divided in 5 different regions and region South, were you plan to stay has this summer about 25 different activities on shedule so far. Almost every weekend there is a tour planned or a exhibition etc. Almost every wednesday they (we) have an evening meeting for a shorter trip or something else to do. Its also quite close to go to region West were they are very active as the rest of the country. We also arrange trackdays, bigger tours abroad, and of course we do have common activities all regions together as we are the same club...

[img width=600 height=94]http://www.mx-5.se/templates/rhuk_raspberry_slushy/images/logotest3.jpg[/img]

Comment

Hy Peter.

It seems that I will really move to Sweden. I have another question due to my unexperience of Sweden.
          Need my car changes to work correctly, mainly in relation to the harder winter meteorological conditions? Hard Top? Some kind of heating? Do you use your cars during winter, too?
          Wich models of winter tyres do you use (snow or simply winter ones?)? And in which period of the year? And how much do you spend for such equipments? Please note that my car has 205/17 tyres.

Let me know what do you think.

Ciao,
          Angelo Davide

Comment

Hy Peter.

It seems that I will really move to Sweden. I have another question due to my unexperience of Sweden.
            Need my car changes to work correctly, mainly in relation to the harder winter meteorological conditions? Hard Top? Some kind of heating? Do you use your cars during winter, too?
            Wich models of winter tyres do you use (snow or simply winter ones?)? And in which period of the year? And how much do you spend for such equipments? Please note that my car has 205/17 tyres.

Let me know what do you think.

Ciao,
            Angelo Davide
            Most of the members are not driving with their Miatas at all wintertime. There are some 10-12 % that uses it all year around. I would recommend to give the car an extra rustprotection into the body /Chassi. Here in Sweden we have special workshops that does this kind of jobs. It cost about 5-600 Euro for an inspection and treatment. I dont know if you have this kind of stations in Italy?

Sweden is a very long Country and the weather variates a lot here. F.e, in south the temperature is around Zero and hardly now snow, but still the roads could be very icy. Therefore salt is used a lot. Up North the temp is much lower and much more snow is present and less salt is used. Choosing the correct wintertyre could therefore be a little bit difficult. The Miata needs good tyres fore winteruse, and most of the Miatadrivers here actually recommend studded tyres. But down south there ia hardly any snow, so M+S frictiontyres could work. But if you want use it in snowconditions. -Go for studded tyres! I wouldnt recommend to use 17 inch for winteruse at all. The best is to use f.e 185/65-15 on a standard rim. From dec 1 to march 31 we must have wintertyres on our cars when there are winterconditions! Summer tyres are not allowed, with some few exeptions as tourists, going to Germany, +10 dg and clean roads etc. This rule is a little bit blurry depending on each situation...

A new set of studded highquality tyres on an aluminiumwheel costs about 6-800 Euro, and can also be found secondhanded for some 3-400 Euro and still quite good tread...

The heatingsystem in our cars is good enough for the Swedish winters, and a hardtop is not nessecary, but could be a good thing to use to protect the softtop, and its easier to keep the car clean from snow with a hardtop. You can find a HT here for 6-700 Euro. They are sometimes for sale at our forum... Its also possible to install an electric engineheater (230v) combined with a heating fan inside the car to keep the windows clean from ice and at the same time have a warm engine in the mornings. I guess it costs around 3-400 euro to install this incl material. This will give you a warm and nice car in the mornings, and it also protects the engine a lot when its -10 degrees outside. The oil at this time is like syrup and you could imagine how good it lubricates the first minutes... Its also a goog thing for the environment to use an engineheater ..

Important! Dont forget the antifreezer in your engine. It could easily destroy it, if it freezes when there are some few dg below zero and filled with water only. 50/50 mix can handle down to -40 dg...

Comment

Peter, try to fit 185/65-15 on a NC LE (no 15" wheels will clear the brakes to my knowledge)

I'd go for narrower tyre on a orginal 16" steelies (winter tire packages for Mazda6 and Mazda3 should fit I guess). 185 or 195 in width is all you need (and since October you don't have to worry about the dimensions in the EU CoC ). Narrower is better when the snow and slush appears.
              Bor i Mölndal, är i Forshaga ibland

MX-5 Trophy -99, by Kronos Racing | 1998 JDM RS, rostig med billig

Comment

Ursprungligen postat av Niklas Falk
                Peter, try to fit 185/65-15 on a NC LE (no 15\\\" wheels will clear the brakes to my knowledge)

I\\\'d go for narrower tyre on a orginal 16\\\" steelies (winter tire packages for Mazda6 and Mazda3 should fit I guess). 185 or 195 in width is all you need (and since October you don\\\'t have to worry about the dimensions in the EU CoC ). Narrower is better when the snow and slush appears.
                Sorry! Missed that.... I had NB in mind, so i can take som parts back in my latest text above ...

I really dont know how well the NC works in wintertime and how good the rustprotection is but its worth mention with NA and NB in mind..... But as Niklas says if 16 inch is the smallest you can fit, you must go with 205:s..There arent any narrower 16\" tyres to find.. . (As far as i know...) So check first if 15\" works on your car, but i dont think so, after searching at Miata.net...

If you have to buy a new set of 16 inch wintertyres and rims 205/55-16 on 6,5x16 or 7x16 rims! expect some 800-1000 Euro..

(You will probably not find any secondhanded HT:s for NC for some years..)

Comment

205/50-16 is the original 16¨ size.
                  195/55-16 is about the same height (+1.6%) (more wintertires to choose from and a bit cheaper).
                  Bor i Mölndal, är i Forshaga ibland

MX-5 Trophy -99, by Kronos Racing | 1998 JDM RS, rostig med billig

Comment

Ursprungligen postat av Niklas Falk
                    205/50-16 is the original 16¨ size.
                    195/55-16 is about the same height (+1.6%) (more wintertires to choose from and a bit cheaper).
                    Oops! Completely new sizes for me .. Im only using 16 inch with loadinxdex W94 on my MSV.. There are some 185:s but plenty of 195:s to choose between. From 120 to 170 Euro each ...

Comment

Thank you all for your help.
                      I have controlled on my documents and for my NC LE the only allowed measure, for winter tyres too, is the 215 on 17\'\' rims. I don\'t think to use studded tyres but only winter ones (and to do not use the car with very bad weather conditions!). I understand this is a possible solution in the south of Sweden. Please note that I\'m a very enthusiast and often, during winter, I drive topdown with the temperature close to zero degrees!
                      How much do you think I will spend for 4 new winter tyres? (w+s model)

Ciao,
                      Angelo Davide

Comment

Here in Sweden we have alternative wheelsizes in our registrationpapers that the carmodel is homologated with (ex 1,8l with 16 \"). This means that it is ok to to use 16\" as wintertires! They are also excepted from the regulations due to speedfactor etc, but the size must be within +/- 5% from original. As Niklas wrote earlier 195/55-16 is about the same height (+1.6%) (more wintertires to choose from and a bit cheaper) or the originalsize on NC 205/50-16 will fit on 6,5x16 rims too...

As i wrote earlier i belive they will cost around 800-1000 Euro incl aluminiumrims depending on the brand and were you buy it. Its a tough market, and the prices are constantly getting lower to our advantage!

Comment

Låser tråden tills Mats har fixat verifieringen! Envisa Web-botar gillar att skiva här!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Ta bort  
                          x
                          eller Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                          x
                          x
                          Avancerade alternativ
                          Rendering Options

Vad får du om du tar 3 från sju?

Working...
                          X